Tailored Arguments for Left and Right

Home Forums Help Improve the Site Tailored Arguments for Left and Right

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mark Mark 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Mark
    Mark
    Keymaster
    1 pt

Just an idea, but I’ve noticed in my personal discussions that we need very, very different arguments for people on the left versus those generally on the right. Painting with a broad brush, but the right seems most susceptible to be won with appeals to natural rights-style arguments, extolling the founders / Constitution, and, on issues of foreign policy, focusing on not wasting the lives of US soldiers. Meanwhile, all of these arguments are largely useless, if not outright toxic, to a left-leaning individual. For them, we need to emphasize the aspect of peace in the libertarian platform, and take great pains to explain how laissez-faire economics / limited government actually helps the disadvantaged the most.

Given this significant divide, I wonder if there’s a compelling way we could help sort our arguments. Maybe it’s just a question of appropriate taxonomy. Or maybe it means, once we’ve compiled enough solid links, creating separate compilations for the right and the left. What do you think?

Also, do we envision people who are merely curious about the ideas of liberty to join this forum as well and engage in debate / ask questions? Or do you expect it to be primarily a place for folks who’ve already embraces these ideas? I think either one is great, but would be curious to know more what you see? I actually had one good friend from the left (who I’ve been discussing with for some time) reach out to me today in search of a forum to discuss these ideas more and this one came to mind as an option. (Stapleton Facebook group is good too, but it feels like that’s much more suitable for curious conservatives rather than liberals.)

#346 Score: 0
    Profile photo of Mark
    Mark
    Keymaster
    1 pt

That’s a great idea, Eric! It will take time to implement, though, without others getting involved. I’m currently trying get some basic arguments lined out for each topic we have so far, but it’s a slow process. Hopefully others will get involved and start contributing soon. There are so many knowledgeable people in the Liberty movement. I hope they decide that this site is worthy of their contributions.

To answer your question, I want this site to be for anyone. Truth is truth, and that’s what I hope to flesh out with open, honest debate. I want this to be a place where people come to share, but also to be challenged. I find that I learn more from discussing opposing views than chatting with people who hold the same world views.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.